Podcast #45: Setting Boundaries in Your Twenties
In this episode of the podcast, Jess and Laura talk about how to set healthy boundaries. Boundaries are the limitations and rules we establish within healthy relationships. We share ideas for boundaries you might want to set with your friends, partner, employer, and even yourself.
We get it: boundaries are tough. Especially when you’re a bona fide people-pleaser whose worst fear in life is disappointing others.
But life is unnecessarily hard without boundaries. If you don’t set boundaries, you can easily end up feeling overextended and underappreciated.
Examples of Healthy Boundaries
1. Boundaries at Work
- Establishing when you are and are not available to answer emails and phone calls
- Clocking out at five o’clock every evening
- Taking every second of your allowed vacation time
2. Boundaries with Friends
- Having a zero-tolerance policy for gossiping
- Limiting contact when needed for your own mental health
- Feeling respected – i.e. no teasing or hurtful comments
3. Boundaries with a Romantic Partner
- Respecting each other’s friends and other relationships
- Enjoying alone time and spending time apart
- Sexual boundaries and feeling comfortable saying no any time for any reason
4. Boundaries with Yourself
- Maintaining a regular schedule to feel productive
- Sticking to a budget to achieve financial goals
- Working out and following a healthy lifestyle
These are just a few of the two dozen or so boundary ideas we shared in the podcast episode, so make sure you listen to get the full list. Plus, we also share concrete tips on how to set boundaries so you feel empowered and in control of your relationships.