Podcast #42: Health Insurance 101 with Elizabeth Davis
Raise your hand if you’ve ever been personally victimized by not understanding your health insurance plan.
In this episode, Jess and Laura are joined by Elizabeth Davis, User Experience Designer at Wex (and Laura’s sister). Elizabeth helps design software that allows employers to manage their health care benefits for employees. She spends a lot of time at work talking with health care providers about how to help their customers understand and utilize their benefits…so she knows a thing or two about health insurance.
In this podcast episode, the three of us talk about the basics of health insurance. We answer all your burning questions, including:
- What is a deductible?
- What is the out-of-pocket maximum? How does it differ from a deductible?
- How can you determine which plan is best for you?
- What is a co-pay?
- How do I find out what my plan covers and what it doesn’t cover?
- What is co-insurance? How does it differ from a co-pay?
- What is an insurance premium?
- What is the benefit of an HSA (Health Savings Account)? How does an HSA differ from an FSA (Flexible Spending Account)?
- What is the difference between an HMO plan and a PPO plan?
Maybe you just turned 26 and your parents had to unceremoniously kick you off of their health plan. Or perhaps you just graduated from college and need to register for your own health insurance for the first time. Whatever the reason, if you’re mystified by health insurance, this episode is for you.